About the role
Duration: 6 months
Salary: £11.95/hour (London Living Wage)
Please note you must be eligible to work in the UK.
The Media Makers scheme offers a 6-month paid internship with Cafeyn, a digital subscription app providing access to more than 2,500 newspaper and magazine titles. The Guardian Foundation has worked in close partnership with Cafeyn on the creation of this opportunity and will provide ongoing support to successful applicants.
The scheme aims to provide you with the training and experience you need to break into journalism. It focuses on the production side of journalism, including sub-editing, digital curation, monetisation of content, and writing headlines. We are looking for entry-level applicants, or aspiring journalists of any age, who come from backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in the media.
If this sounds like you, start your application today!
Mission: finding the ‘gems’ our audience needs to discover
You will have the opportunity to:
- Select and curate content from our newsstand portfolio of hundreds of publications to build editorial formats – newsletters, playlists – and showcase your selections
- Support the scheduling of our homepage to showcase unmissable articles, PDFs of the best magazines and newspapers and exclusive audio
- If interested, work on developing innovative editorial formats - narrated content, podcasts.
- Learn about audience behaviour and engagement levers on digital channels - mobile, web, newsletters, social media and influencer marketing
We hope you have
- Passion for consuming news content (reading and listening) with sound editorial judgement for selecting stories
- Sub-editing skills with an ability to rewrite copy, craft headlines and spot typos and factual errors
- A data-driven approach. Happy to apply best practices learned to real-world scenarios.
- Social media enthusiast with a skill for optimising engagement and growing audience on content posted
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Willingness to learn how to voice and produce audio journalism content
- Knowledge of British magazines and newspapers is an advantage
Your application must include all three of the below items:
1) Your CV (max two pages)
2) Complete the questions about your motivation and suitability
3) Complete the equal opportunities monitoring form
Applications must be received by 5pm on 11th November 2022.
We hope to appoint successful candidates for the internship commencing in January 2023 and April 2023 through this application stage. Please note that we have a rolling intake every 6 months from July 2022 with the final placement starting in October 2023.
Subsequent deadlines shall be listed closer to the time.